Ryan Snow is a civil rights attorney focused on voting rights. Ryan currently serves as Associate Counsel with the Voting Rights Project of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law in Washington, DC. His work includes litigation and advocacy to defend and expand meaningful access to democracy, in particular on behalf of people of color and other marginalized communities.
Ryan Snow is also a trombonist, improvisor, composer, and teacher. From 2005 to 2015, Ryan worked as a professional musician based in Brooklyn, NY. His work spans all styles and genres, but has focused on avant-garde jazz and free improvised music. Ryan was also a founding member of soul-rock-funk band Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds, with whom he toured extensively from 2011 to 2014.
This internet website will feature both music and law and democracy-related content, and will be updated occasionally.
For now, here is some music:
Ryan Snow's Trio Unleashed! featuring Aidan Carroll (bass) and Bram Kincheloe (drums)
Live at 58N6 Medialabs, Brooklyn, NY, November 22, 2009
1. untitled improvisation (Snow, Carroll, Kincheloe)
2. Platform (Snow)
3. Proof Readers (Ornette Coleman)
4. Little Room (Snow)
Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds
The Weather Below (2015) - full album playlist
- This is our best studio album
- Recorded and produced by Ryan Hadlock in a three week session at Bear Creek Studio in Woodinville, WA in December 2014, right in the middle of my career transition. I had just finished working as a field organizer in the New Hampshire midterm elections, and was about to go back home to Cali while I applied to law school. My last gig with the band as a full-time member was in Spring 2014, so these were the same songs I had toured on and helped arrange and compose horn lines for. It was a great session. The bulk of the record had already been recorded by the time I got there, so all I had to do was hear it and lay my parts down right in the groove. Nailed it in very few takes; felt so good then, and feels so good to listen to now.
Make it Rain - Live at Sullivan Hall, NYC, September 23, 2011
- This features a solo improvisation by myself
Another Ride (2012) - Official Music Video
- Incredible production and animation by Jake Nelson and company
Hollow Bones (2011) - Official Music Video
- This is an acoustic version of our live performance at the time
The Way You Make Me Feel - Live at Irving Plaza, NYC, November 22, 2013
- Large crowd and great performance, terrible sound quality
- I contributed substantially to the arrangement, on this and other songs
Boom Boom - Live at Rockwood Music Hall, NYC, August 7, 2010
- An example of how we got our start, playing to sold-out crowds in small rooms in NYC
Ryan Snow's Pull
The Hungry Boy (2015) - Winner, Best Animated Short 2015, Athens Animation Festival - Animated and Co-Directed by Jake Nelson, Written and Co-Directed by Cem Kurtulus, Original Improvised Score by Ryan Snow and Pull
- Pull is Ryan Snow (trombone), Johnny Butler (tenor saxophone), Sasha Brown (guitar), Jonathan Goldberger (guitar), Chris Tordini (bass), Bram Kincheloe (drums)
Shipreck (2009) - Excerpts from a dance and puppet theater adaptation of Tristan & Isuelt, created and directed by Alexis Macnab, with original improvised score by Scavenger Quartet
- Scavenger Quartet is Ryan Snow (trombone), Jake Wise (clarinet), Kenny Wang (viola), Will McEvoy (bass)
And here is some writing:
Ryan Snow, Legislative Control over Redistricting as Conflicts of Interest: Addressing the Problem of Partisan Gerrymandering Using State Conflicts of Interest Law, 165 U. Pa. L. Rev. Online 147 (2017)