Ryan Snow is a civil rights attorney focused on voting rights and access to democracy. Ryan currently serves as Associate Counsel with the Voting Rights Project of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. His work focuses on litigation and advocacy in defense of the fundamental right to vote, and to ensure that all Americans have equal and meaningful access to our political process, regardless of race, wealth, age, language, disability, or other status or circumstance.
Ryan Snow is also a trombonist, improvisor, composer, and teacher. From 2005 to 2015, Ryan worked as a professional musician based in Brooklyn, NY. His work spans all styles and genres, but has focused on avant-garde jazz and free improvised music. Ryan was also a founding member of soul-rock-funk band Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds, with whom he toured extensively from 2011 to 2014.
This internet website will feature both music and law-and-democracy-related content, and will be updated rarely.
For now, here is some music:
Ryan Snow's Trio Unleashed! featuring Aidan Carroll (bass) and Bram Kincheloe (drums)
Live at 58N6 Medialabs, Brooklyn, NY, November 22, 2009
1. untitled improvisation (Snow, Carroll, Kincheloe)
2. Platform (Snow)
3. Proof Readers (Ornette Coleman)
4. Little Room (Snow)
- This is our best studio album; multiple songs have millions of plays
- Recorded and produced by Ryan Hadlock in a three week session at Bear Creek Studio in Woodinville, WA in December 2014, right in the middle of my career transition. I had just finished working as a field organizer in the New Hampshire midterm elections, and was about to go back home to Cali while I applied to law school. My last gig with the band as a full-time member was March 31, 2014, so these were the same songs I had toured on and helped arrange and compose horn lines for. It was a great session and a great coda to my time with the band.
Don't Be Jealous - Live at Irving Plaza, NYC, November 22, 2013
- Road song, deep groove after over 200,000 miles
Another Ride - Official Music Video, 2012
- Incredible animation and production by Jake Nelson and company
Make it Rain - Live at Sullivan Hall, NYC, September 23, 2011
- Fire, featuring a solo improvisation by me
Ryan Snow's Pull featuring Johnny Butler (tenor saxophone), Sasha Brown (guitar), Jonathan Goldberger (guitar), Chris Tordini (bass), Bram Kincheloe (drums)
The Hungry Boy (2015)
- Winner, Best Animated Short 2015, Athens Animation Festival
- Animated and Co-Directed by Jake Nelson; Written and Co-Directed by Cem Kurtulus
- Original Improvised Score by Ryan Snow and Pull
Scavenger Quartet Ryan Snow (trombone), Jake Wise (clarinet), Kenny Wang (viola), Will McEvoy (bass)
Shipwreck (excerpts) (December, 2009)
- "Inspired by the legend of Tristan and Iseult, Shipwreck is a dance-theater, shadow-puppet exploration of unrequited longing and unintended consequences. Staged at the beautiful Triskelion Arts in Brooklyn, Shipwreck features New York City’s poignantly distant skyline, as heartbreaking and unattainable as each character’s desire."
- Created and directed by Alexis Macnab, performed by amazing people
- Original improvised score by Scavenger Quartet
Ryan Snow (solo trombone)
untitled improvisation - Live at 58N6 Medialabs, Brooklyn, NY, September 2009
- Part of Josh Roseman's New York Slideworker's Union (NYSWU) collective/meeting/series, dedicated to demonstrating the principle of blowature pertaining to sliding instruments.
And here is some writing:
Ryan Snow, Legislative Control over Redistricting as Conflicts of Interest: Addressing the Problem of Partisan Gerrymandering Using State Conflicts of Interest Law, 165 U. Pa. L. Rev. Online 147 (2017) pdf